Monday, August 8, 2016

Book review: The Well

The Well by Stephanie Landsem

COULD HE BE THE ONE
WE'VE BEEN WAITING FOR?

For the women of the Samaritan village of Sychar, the well is a place of blessing---the place where they gather to draw their water and share their lives---but not for Mara. Shunned for the many sins of her mother, Nava, Mara struggles against the constant threats of starvation or exile.
Mara and Nava's lives are forever changed with the arrival of two men: Shem, a mysterious young man from Caesarea, and Jesus, a Jewish teacher. Nava is transformed by Jesus, but his teachings come too late and she is stoned by the unforgiving villagers. Desperate to save her dying mother, Mara and Shem embark on a journey to seek Jesus' help---a journey that brings unexpected love and unimaginable heartbreak.
---
For some reason I find it difficult to write a review for this book, but it isn't because it wasn't good. This book was, in fact, a masterpiece. If you know me at all you'll know that coming from me, it must be a good book. 
Landsem had me captivated by the first page with her vivid descriptions and ability to keep the story flowing without feeling too rushed. Not to mention, her phenomenal skills at storytelling! This book was brilliantly written and had everything a good book should have. It kept my interest throughout the entire book and I eagerly gobbled it up in less than a week. It is now easily one of the best books I have ever read. It had the ability to make me cry at parts, which is also really something coming from me! Maybe some people don't like books that make them cry, but to me, it just makes the book that much better! It shows supurb skills in writing on the author's part, which is admirable and inspiring to me. This was the first book I've had the pleasure of reading by this author, and now I hope to be able to read her others! It easily receives a 5 out of 5 star rating from me, and if you are a fan of biblical fiction, or any Christian fiction, I highly recommend it! (Thanks to my niece for letting me borrow it!)


No comments:

Post a Comment