Saturday, August 13, 2016

Book Review: Guide Me Home

Guide Me Home by Kim Vogel Sawyer

Working as a guide in Mammoth Cave might allow
Rebekah the chance to bring joy back to her family.
But will the cave claim more than it gives?

After tragedy leaves its mark on Rebekah Hardin's family, she plans to help her parents and six siblings honor her beloved brother's memory and alleviate their poverty by working as a guide in the dangerous cave system. Kentucky's renowned Mammoth Cave presents profitable opportunities for hardworking, capable men. But Rebekah is determined, and if it means presenting herself as a himself, then she's up to the job.
Under the wing of experienced guide Tolly Sandford, "Reb" begins to learn the complexities of the cave. The two are joined by an aspiring young cartographer, Devlin Bale. The university student has traveled to the hill country to map tunnels---not to fall for a girl in disguise. 
Can the God who designed miles of underground astonishment shape Devlin's ambitious plans and free Reb from the weight of her past?

---

Kim Vogel Sawyer is one of my favorite authors and once again she did not disappoint. She always keeps her stories moving, never lingering too long on the same scene or bogging the story down with too much description. I like that the idea for this story is new and fresh; how many stories can you think of that the plot centers around a cave? She did well writing it, and it kept me interested as far as plot. However, I didn't much like either of the two main characters. They just felt a little bland in my opinion, and it was like they fell in love simply because they were the hero and heroine and that's what was supposed to happen. There was no chemistry between them, no real reason for them to fall in love. Honestly, my favorite character was Rebekah's sister, who had a side story in the novel. I don't know if this will be part of a series, but if so, I hope the next book is about her! 
Also, there seemed to be a few plot holes and it felt like the story hadn't fully concluded by the end (which is another reason I'm hoping for a sequel!). I give the book 4 out of 5 for the original plot, good writing, and interesting side characters. Overall an enjoyable read!


Many thanks to Waterbrook Press for providing me with a free copy of this book in exchange for my unbiased review.

No comments:

Post a Comment